Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Interpersonal Theory and Communication

I know I said that my public speaking class was one of my favorites ever. 
Well that may be true but my Interpersonal Theory class was my favorite this semester.

Poor Breck probably got so tired of this class because 
I came home literally everyday and talked his ear off about all the awesome things I learned. 

I came away from every class feeling like I learned something.
And those little somethings weren't just random facts. 
They are things that I can apply to my life in everyday things. 

I learned all about different listening styles and how important it is to listen. 
I also learned about all of the different non-listening styles. 
(Which I may or may not use pretty often.. working on it okay?)

I also learned how to handle conflicts and make discussions instead of arguments.
Brother Bean made a really interesting distinction between conflict and contention. 
Contention is of the devil but not all conflict is. 
Sometimes conflicts can lead us to a better solution or more understanding in a relationship.
It all depends on how the conflict is handled. 
I'm working on step one which is wait to discuss the issue until you're not so emotional. 
It for real makes the biggest difference. 

I learned so many things that have helped me become a better person. 
Which really should be how all education should be. 
I should be becoming a better person each day because of the things I'm learning. 
That's why I love love loved this class. 

No comments: