Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Public Speaking

Going into my public speaking class I thought I was a decent speaker. 
I don't mind speaking very much and only get a little nervous. 
I didn't expect to learn so much. 

The main thing that has changed in my approach to public speaking is the preparation. 
Mostly in making sure I stay within my time limit. 
One of the first days of class Sister Waite talked about people who go over their time limit. 
She pointed out that it is actually really selfish to do that. 
Which is totally true.
So from then on I've tried to stay exactly within my time limit. 
Let's be honest, we've all been assigned to speak and someone either takes all your time 
or you take all of someone's time. 
Let's all just be nice and take our own time. It'll be so much better. 

I've also learned how important it is to think about your audience when speaking. 
There were a few speeches this semester that I felt like 
had nothing to do with anything I cared about. 
And so I didn't listen. Which is bad. 
So I'm working on that part. It's pretty important I think. 

This will probably be one of my favorite classes in all of my college career. 
I loved the professor so much. 
I loved the materials. 
I loved giving speeches. 
I loved my classmates. 

It was just really great. 
And I'm just a little bit sad that it is over. 

No comments: